If you’ve recently discovered you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and reside in a state with strict abortion laws, you may be considering abortion tourism.
Abortion tourism is a relatively new term for women who travel to a different state where abortion laws are less restrictive.
But before you decide about abortion tourism, there are some details you should know to protect your health.
Have a Plan
It’s essential to know the details of the abortion laws for the state you’re traveling to. For example, do they require a waiting period before having an abortion? At least 33 states require pre-abortion counseling, and most require a specified amount of time—most often 24 hours—between the counseling and the procedure. A few states require in-person counseling.
If a waiting period is required, you must allow yourself more time. Also, depending on the type of abortion you’re having, you might need follow-up care or recovery time before traveling home.
For medical abortions, the risks can include:
- Incomplete abortion–likely requiring a follow-up surgical abortion
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
If a surgical abortion is required, potential risks are:
- Perforation of the uterus
- Damage to the cervix
- Scar tissue on the uterine wall
- Heavy bleeding
For your health, learn what emergency care is available in your travel area if any post-abortive care is necessary.
Have the Facts Before You Travel
Having all the facts about your pregnancy is essential before traveling out of state.
Knowing the age and viability of your pregnancy will be vital to determining what types of abortion procedures are available to you. The best way to get these details about your pregnancy is to take advantage of free and confidential pregnancy services at Alpha Pregnancy Care Center.
- Pregnancy Test Confirmation— While at-home pregnancy tests are usually accurate, it is possible to get a false positive. Taking an in-clinic pregnancy test is the best way to confirm your pregnancy.
- Ultrasound Scan—If an in-clinic pregnancy test confirms your pregnancy, the next important step is an ultrasound scan. This scan will give you details about your pregnancy, including age and viability.
How long you have been pregnant determines what abortion procedures are options for you. An ultrasound determines the age and viability of your pregnancy (if it is a growing pregnancy or if you have had a natural miscarriage).
The ultrasound will also detect if you have an ectopic pregnancy. This is a pregnancy where the embryo attaches and grows outside your uterus. It is a serious medical condition that requires immediate intervention to protect your health.
Get the Help You Deserve
The team at Alpha Pregnancy Care Center is here for you. We provide in-clinic pregnancy testing and an ultrasound scan, all at no cost to you. Our trained and caring staff will also review the results with you, discuss your options, and answer all your questions.
Contact us today to schedule your free and confidential appointment.